Sunday, May 10, 2009

Extra Credit 3

The movie Slumdog Millionaire changed the way I think about other people, the world I live in, myself, my nation, my culture and my religion. Though it was no directed towards any of those things, the difference from the way I live compared to their makes me reflect on my own life.

In this movie, a young man constantly reflects on tragic stories in his life in order to answer questions on a game show similar to the United States ‘who wants to be a millionaire.’ This movie was filled with pain, hardship, and triumph and made me thank my lucky stars for the life I am able to live. It showed the hardships people of India are feeling and living everyday and what the people in the slums have to go through.

It made me look at the world I live in and be thankful for one, but also made me wish we were/could help 3rd world countries in ways that we are not already. It made me look at myself and realize I shouldn’t be mad that I couldn’t buy a pair of new pants today because the boy in the film probably had to wear the same clothes for days and didn’t complain. It made me look at my nation and reflect on why we are able to live such a good life compared to the people in the film. It made me ask myself why were are giving so many opportunities to better our lives when the only way he could better his was by competing in a game show.

I don’t know anything about India’s past or why they live the way they do. But could it have anything to do with what we talked about for our last blog. And that the fact that economic development has taken over is it taking away from their health and taking away ways in which they would be able to better their own lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment